Syrian conflict:- the wave of arab spring touched the almost majority nations of arab league, including Syria. This war the progenitor for the dismantling of the soc-eco-political set up of the country.
Currently there are three major faction:- assad supportor; anti-assad/free Syrian army/rebels and terrorist group ISIL/Al nusra.
Due to the lack of conformity between weatern powers and UNSCs’ permanent member, the situation getting weird with time.
Role of western powers:-
- United States
It favoured “assad must go” temperament, and thus supporting opposition group containing rebels, supplying them military and weaponary power to fight against it
- .Via USAID provide monetory assistance.
- It believes in the peace by including Syrian government that is assad regime [china supporting fully].
- Moscow backs an international “contact group” to handle Syria – bringing in Iran and Saudi Arabia but excluding the UK and France. The UN also likes this idea.
- Want to go with US, but during Camron era house of commons rejected the support for warstrike at Syrian regime. Though against ISIL but favoured “moderate” rebel groups.
- It contained mix perception:- where FRANCE totally against the regime, Angela Markel of germany supported assad’s inclusion before deciding upon future of Syria.
It favoured assad regime+ supporting local hizaboollah group[pro-assad], supplying full military and arm support [even during sanction era].
Confused party, policy wise with RUSSIA, but internally backed rebels.
Discreetly backed anti-Assad rebel groups operating close to the occupied Golan Heights and perhaps in the southern Druze region.
Main point is that, every power either weatern or regional all are against ISIL
Role of UN:-
- Annan 6 point peace plan [ United Nations Supervision Mission in Syria]:- to allow freedom of press/freedom of movement/ceasefire of armed violation/release of arbitrary detained persons/allowed humanitarian assistence etc, but it lived for very shord period, though first assad accepted it earlier.
- UNHRC:- after 2013 chemical weapon strike on Syria, it condemened such inherently indiscriminate, inhuman and immoral strike [also against hague convention’1899/ geneva protocl’25], bring out dubious state of syria in front of world.
- UNICEF:- vaccination/clothing/care products to conflicted region.
Responsibility to Protect (R2P), the global commitment adopted at the 2005 United Nations (UN) World Summit, central to respond to mass atrocity crimes [of international level], seemed failed here in Syria to due its void attempts to bring ceasefire.
- Physics Syllabus – UPSC Civil Services Mains Exam
- Shruti Sharma - IAS 2021 Topper
- Civil Engineering Syllabus - UPSC Civil…
- Zoology Syllabus – UPSC Civil Services Mains Exam
- Management Syllabus – UPSC Civil Services…
- Mathematics Syllabus – UPSC Civil Services…
- UPSC Exams - List of Competitive Exams…
- Botany Syllabus – UPSC Civil Services Mains Exam