Books selection is vital for any competitive examination including UPSC Civil Service Exam. Many of them are searching in the dark light which is the best book, what to read and what not to read. Moreover, finding an important book is also determines chances of success in IAS Exam. We did a lot of research and took the suggestions from toppers for making a standard list of Books for IAS Prelims 2019. The Books list given here is an exclusive list of IAS Books for Prelims Preparation. We recommend to collect the complete list of Books for IAS Preparation and start reading from now onwards to focus on UPSC Prelims Exam.
IAS Books for Prelims – Geography
- Certificate of Physical and human geography by G C Leong is a must book for IAS Books prelims and mains for Physical part of Geography. Moreover, It effectively covers most topics from physical world geography which are asked in the prelims!
- Geography of India by Masjid Hussain– A very comprehensive book for UPSC and other competitive exams. A must-have book if you want to understand the geography of India from root to tip. It details topics in a way that you get the complete understanding by updated info and maps.
- Oxford School Atlas: It is indispensable atlas for understanding basics of Indian Geography as well as World Geography. Must Book for IAS Exam.
Update: For Geography NCERT books are very much recommendable for UPSC Exam.If u have sufficient time then read NCERTS of Classes 6 to 12.
IAS Books for Prelims – Environment
- Environment by Shankar IAS– Must read book for upsc aspirants as many questions are being asked about the environment. But you have to keep in touch with environmental current affairs from THE HINDU. UPSC giving a lot of attention is given to environmental issues nowadays.
For basic reading, Environment part of Class 11& 12 is suggested.
IAS Books for Prelims – Economics
- Indian Economy by Ramesh Singh: it is a must-read book. This covers almost all aspects of the economy. It will be useful for prelims. Read from the latest edition [7th edition]. Apart from it will be helpful for mains also.
- Economic survey: An analytical and descriptive account of the present economic challenges and opportunities the country is witnessing. it is highly advantageous for both prelims and mains point of view.
IAS Books for Prelims – History
1.India’s struggle for independence by Bipan Chandra: which is a very good book for the modern part. Even though, this book is a little bit fatty and time-consuming but it will give you broad knowledge about the topic. This book can read like a novel, explains holistically each and every happening of freedom struggle period.
2.India’s Ancient Past- RS Sharma– Authoritative book on the ancient history of India It’s definitely one of the best books in the market about the ancient history of India. The writer is reputed and tries to put a holistic view of the subject.
3. History of Medieval India – Sathish Chandra -Though UPSC focuses more on Modern History the most, but for a clear understanding of Medieval Era, this is the best book to read. Furthermore, A few Questions is also can expect from this part.
IAS Books for Prelims – Art and Culture
- Indian art and culture by Nitin Singhania. – Generally speaking about culture part of IAS Exam, the best book is Indian Art and Culture. Additionally, It’s a resource material you just cannot avoid for Civil Service Exam. Besides these, this book is illustrated with pictures, reading and studying from this book itself is a wonderful learning experience in itself.
- The Wonder that was India – AL Bhasham: Comprehensive book on the glorious history of India. In addition to this, the book has deep information about the ancient culture from India. Apart from this, it is a classic one on the subject.
IAS Books for Prelims – Indian Polity
- Indian Polity for Civil Services Examinations – M. Laxmikanth– In fact, there is no question arising the base book for the polity, it is none other than Laxmikant. Start reading from any of the interesting topics, for instance, if you find interesting to study The Panchayat Raj, start reading from there. It would be beneficial for you if you prepare notes along with reading itself.
IAS Books for Prelims – Science and Technology
- Science and Technology in India – TMH.- This is a really good book not only for basic preparation of Science and Technology part for UPSC preparation but also who want to learn something extra. Although it comprises fine information on every topic, however, the book is not updated.
IAS Books for Prelims – Current Affairs
- India Year Book – This book is very helpful to understand the government schemes and plans on various fields ( contents index is provided in the images), which can be very helpful for exams like UPSC for both prelims and mains point of view.
- Manorama Yearbook– For Current Affairs part, reading Manorama yearbook along with Hindu newspaper is advisable.
Tips: For UPSC exam preparation, exhaustive reading of newspapers especially The Hindu is a must. Reading current affairs from PIB on daily basis also recommendable.
Also read: 10 Best Books for IAS Prelims and Mains
IAS Books for Prelims: CSAT Paper -2
By and large, CSAT paper is not considered to pass prelims from 2015 onwards. But need to secure a minimum of 33% of 200 marks, that is 66 marks. Although, the relevance of paper 2 has come down still it is important to clear prelims.
- Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning– RS.Aggarwal -CSAT Paper 2: Reasoning
- CSAT Manual by TMH or CSAT-II – Arihant CSAT – Paper 2
- Analytical Reasoning – MK Pandey CSAT – Paper 2: Analytical Reasoning
IAS Books for Prelims and Mains in the Hindi Language
As many of the books given in the English Language, corresponding books in the Hindi language are available in the book market. Also, Hindi medium students can check the link UPSC IAS Books in the Hindi Language to buy from Amazon at a lower price.
Books for Other Competitive Exams
Links of UPSC Books at online Stores
Free Resources For IAS Exam
- Yojana Magazine Download.
- Download Kurukshetra Magazine
- Pratiyogita Darpan issue
- Download IGNOU Books
- NCERT Books Download
- Buy NCERT Books Online