General Studies Paper 3 Syllabus for UPSC Civil Services Mains Exam comprises of five major areas such as Technology, Economic Development, Bio diversity, Environment, Security and Disaster Management. Detailed syllabus of General Studies Paper 3 as provided by UPSC is as below:
General Studies Paper 3 Syllabus for UPSC Civil Services Mains
- Indian Economy and issues relating to planning, mobilization of resources, growth, development and employment.
- Inclusive growth and issues arising from it.
- Government Budgeting.
- Major crops cropping patterns in various parts of the country, different types of irrigation and
irrigation systems storage, transport and marketing of agricultural produce and issues and related
constraints; e-technology in the aid of farmers
- Issues related to direct and indirect farm subsidies and minimum support prices; Public Distribution
System- objectives, functioning, limitations, revamping; issues of buffer stocks and food security;
Technology missions; economics of animal-rearing.
- Food processing and related industries in India- scope and significance, location, upstream and
downstream requirements, supply chain management.
- Land reforms in India.
- Effects of liberalization on the economy, changes in industrial policy and their effects on industrial
- Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways etc.
- Investment models.
- Science and Technology- developments and their applications and effects in everyday life
- Achievements of Indians in science & technology; indigenization of technology and developing new
- Awareness in the fields of IT, Space, Computers, robotics, nano-technology, bio-technology and
issues relating to intellectual property rights.
- Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment
- Disaster and disaster management.
- Linkages between development and spread of extremism.
- Role of external state and non-state actors in creating challenges to internal security.
- Challenges to internal security through communication networks, role of media and social networking sites in internal security challenges, basics of cyber security; money-laundering and its prevention
- Security challenges and their management in border areas; linkages of organized crime with
- Various Security forces and agencies and their mandate.
Books list for General Studies Paper 3
The basic book-list suggested by many toppers is given in the post IAS Books for UPSC Civil Service Prelims & Mains. We are prescribing a special book list focuses only on General Studies Paper 1 of Mains Exam.
- India’s National Security: A Reader. (Internal Security – GS3)
- Challenges to Internal Security of India. (Internal Security – GS3)
- Economic Survey. (Economy)
- Science and Technology in India – TMH. (Science and Technology)
- Environment by Shankar IAS Academy
- India Year Book (Current Affairs)
- Manorama Yearbook. (Current Affairs)