Last updated on September 12th, 2017 at 05:05 pm
Proper selection Optional Book list for UPSC IAS Exam is tough job . Our team collected feed back from many toppers and made a standard list on every subject . We are providing minimum number of standard books. IASSolution believe that revision of minimum number of standard Books is good for candidates .
Book list – Public Administration Optional
- Public Administration – Laxmikanth .
- Public Administration: Concepts And Theories – Rumki Basu .
- A Dictionary of Public Administration – Maheswari .
- Indian Administration – Pankaj Singh .
- Public Administration : Theory And Practice .
- Governance in India for UPSC Civil Services Preliminary Examination – Laxmikant .
- Administrative Theories And Management Thought – Sapru .
- New Horizons Of Public Administration – Mohit Bhattacharya .
- Administrative Thinkers – D. Ravindra Prasad.
- Contemporary Debates in Public Administration – Dhameja Alka.
- Indian Administration – Maheswari.
- Introduction to the constitution of India – D.D.Basu.
Book List – Geography Optional
- Physical Geography – Majid Hussain/ Savindra Singh.
- Modern Physical Geography – Strahler and Strahler (Optional).
- .Certificate Physical and Human Geography – Goh Cheng Leong.
- Physical Geography Made Simple – Rupa Publication.
- Dictionary of Physical Geography – Penguin.
- Evolution of Geographical Thought – Majid Hussain.
- Economic and Social Geography Made Simple.
- Models in Geography – Majid Hussain.
- Dictionary of Human Geography.
- Oxford Student Atlas.
- India – A Comprehensive Geography – Khullar.
- Regional Planning in India – Mahesh Chand.
- India Year Book – Publication Division.
- Yojana and Kurukshetra Magazines.
Optional Book List – Sociology
- Social Problems In India – Ram Ahuja.
- Sociology – Anthony Giddens.
- Sociology Themes and Perspectives – Michael Haralambos, Martin Holborn.
- Society In India: Concepts, Theories And Recent Trends – Ram Ahuja.
- Sociological Theory – George Ritzer.
- Caste Its Twentieth Century Avatar – M. N. SRINIVAS.
- Persistence and Change in Tribal India – M.V. Rao.
- Social Background of Indian Nationalism – A. R. Desai.
- Modernization Of Indian Tradition – Yogendra Singh.
- Sociological Thought – Francis Abraham, John Henry Morgan.
- Social Change In Modern India – M. N. SRINIVAS.
- Oxford Dictionary Of Sociology.
Optional Book List – Political Science
- An Introduction to Constitution of India – D.D Basu.
- Introduction to Political Theory – O P Gauba.
- A new look at modern indian history by BL Grover and Alka Yagnik.
- Fifty major political thinkers by Ian Adams and RW Dyson.
- Challenge and Strategy: Rethinking India’s Foreign Policy by Rajiv Sikri.
- Foundations of Indian Political Thought – V R Mehta.
- Indian Government and Politics – B L Fadia.
- Does The Elephant Dance? Contemporary India Foreign Policy – Malone
- MPS-004 Comparative Politics: Issues and Trends by Expert Panel of GPH.
- Global politics by Andrew Heywood.
- India’s foreign policy – V P Dutt.
- International organisations by spectrum.
- An Oxford companion to politics in India.
Optional Book List – History
- History of Modern India – Shekhar Bandopadhyaya/Bipan Chandra.
- India’s Struggle For Independence – Bipan Chandra and Others.
- India’s Ancient Past – R.S. Sharma.
- Age of Revolution 1789-1848.
- Age of Capital 1848-1875.
- Early India by Romila Thappar.
- Mastering Modern World History – Norman Lowe.
- Modern India by Sumit Sarkar.
- Age of Empire 1875-1914.
- The Wonder that was India.
Optional Book List – Economics
- Microeconomics – Ahuja and Koutsyansis.
- Macroeconomics – Ahuja and Mankiw.
- International Economics – Salvatore and M.C Vaish.
- Public Finance – Lekhi, Balton and Bhatia.
- Money and Banking – Gupta and Ahuja.
- RBI Website.
- Growth and Development – Mishra and Puri.
- Debraj Ray-Development Economics.
- Indian Economy – Mishra and Puri, Dutt and Sundaram , Uma Kapila , Economic Survey.
Optional Book List – Medical Science
- Human Anatomy—B D Chaurasia books of Anatomy (all three volumes)
- Embryology from I B Singh;
- Human Physiology– Ganong; Guyton and A.K.Jain book
- Biochemistry– by U. Satyanarayan’s book.
- Pathology– Pathological basis of disease by Robbins and Cotran
- Pharmacology– K D Tripathi’s book or Lipincott is very good for memory point of view.
- Microbiology– D R Arora’s book.
- Medical parasitology by D R Arora
- Essentials of Forensic medicine and Toxicology by Dr. K S Narayan Reddy.
- Preventive and social medicine– K Park (Community medicine)
- Emergency medicine by Chough
- General Surgery– Manipal’s manual of surgery
- Clinical surgery for differential diagnosis
- Essential pediatrics by O P Ghai, Paul and Bagga (Pediatrics)
- Illustrated synopsis of Dermatology and sexually transmitted diseases by Neena Khanna.
- Obstetrics and gynecology including family planning– Obstetrics by D C Dutta
Book Lists for Law Optional
Books for Law Optional Paper 1
- Constitution of India
- Introduction to the Constitution of India – D.D Basu
- Our Constitution – Subhash C. Kashyap
- Administrative Law – I.P. Massey
- The Constitution of India (Bare Act) – PM Bakshi
- Constitution of India- VN Shukla
- An Introduction to Public International Law – S. K. Verma
- International Law- S. K Kapoor
- International Law – Malcolm N Shaw
Books for Law Optional Paper 2
- Indian Penal Code- KD Gaur
- Indian Penal Code-Ratanlal and Dhirajlal
- Mercantile Law – R.K. Bangia
- Principles of Mercantile Law- Avtar Singh
- Indian Contract Act Specific Relief Act- Pollock and mulla
- Law of Tort – Autochthon Pillai
- Jurisprudence – P.K. Tripathi and Dias
Book Lists for Mechanical engineering optional
- Thermodynamics – R Yadav
- Heat Conversion – Arora and Kundwar
- Theory of Mechanics – S S Rattan
- Heat Transfer – Gupta Prakash
- Heat and Mass Transfer – R. Yadav
- Theory of Mechanism and Mechanics – Jagdish Lal
- Principles of Manufacturing Material & Process – Campbell
- Fundamentals of Classed Thermodynamics – Van Wylen
- Environmental Pollution Central Engineering
- Mechanic of Solids
- Manufacturing Science – Ghosh and Malik
- Energy Conversion – Sukhalmoy
- Surveying and Levelling – T P Kanetkar
- Manufacturing Science – R K Jain
- Production Management – R K Jain
- Manufacturing Technology – P N Rao
Optional Book List for Botany
- Cell Biology- De Robertis & Ambrose and Easy or Powar
- Cryptograms- B.R. Vasista
- Botany for Degree Students ; Pteridophyta (Vascular Cryptogams)-P.C. Vashishta
- Ecology, Microbiology, Animal Behaviour, Pollution and Toxicology For B. Sc. Part III, Paper III- Dr. Veer Bala Rastogi
- Physiology and Biochemistry: Salisbury and Ross or Fritz and Noggle
- Economic botany in the tropics- S. L. Kochhar
- Embryology Of Angiosperms- S P Bhatnagar
- Genetics- Strickberger
- Genetics-Dr. Veer Bala Rastogi
- Microbiology – Powars (Volume 1) (Volume 2 )
- Pathology- Singh’s book along with a foreign author
- Physiology and Biochemistry -Salisbury and Ross or Fritz and Noggle
- Plant Anatomy- Esau
- Plant Anatomy- B.P. Pandey
- Taxonomy-R Nair
Optional Book list – Zoology
- Cell and molecular biology – De Robertis, C.B. Powar
- Genetics – P.K. Gupta, Gardner, Ahluwalia, Vir Bala Rastogi
- Invertebrates – R.L. Kotpal, Nigam, Jordan
- Vertebrates – R.L. Kotpal, Nigam, Jordan and Varma
- Comparative anatomy of vertebrate zoology
- Animal physiology – H.R. Singh, Vander
- Biochemistry – Harper, Leninger, Stryer, Rao
- Embryology – Balinsky, A.K. Berry, Vir Bala Rastogi
- Organic evolution – Veer Bala Rastogi
- Ecology – P.D. Sharma, Odum, Vir Bala Rastogi and M.S. Jayaraj, Kotpal and Bali
- Economic Zoology – Shukla and Upadhaya, Kotpal Series, Kotpal- Khetrapal – Aggarwal
- Ethology – Reena Mathur, Magazines like Science Reporter, Nature etc.
- General Zoology – Storer and Usurger
- Physiology – H.R. Singh
- Evolution – Vir Bala Rastogi
- A Dictionary of Entomology – Leftwich