Last updated on April 30th, 2017 at 04:43 pm
General Studies 2 Paper Syllabus of UPSC Civil Services Mains Exam comprises of four major areas : Governance, Constitution, Polity, Social Justice and International relations. Detailed syllabus is as follows below:
General Studies 2 Paper Syllabus for UPSC Civil Services Mains
- Indian Constitution- historical underpinnings, evolution, features, amendments, significant provisions and basic structure.
- Functions and responsibilities of the Union and the States, issues and challenges pertaining to the
federal structure, devolution of powers and finances up to local levels and challenges therein.
- Separation of powers between various organs dispute redressal mechanisms and institutions.
- Comparison of the Indian constitutional scheme with that of other countries
- Parliament and State Legislatures – structure, functioning, conduct of business, powers & privileges
and issues arising out of these.
- Structure, organization and functioning of the Executive and the Judiciary Ministries and Departments of the Government; pressure groups and formal/informal associations and their role in the Polity.
- Salient features of the Representation of People’s Act.
- Appointment to various Constitutional posts, powers, functions and responsibilities of various
- Statutory, regulatory and various quasi-judicial bodies.
- Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out oftheir design and implementation.
- Development processes and the development industry- the role of NGOs, SHGs, various groups andassociations, donors, charities, institutional and other stakeholders.
- Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre and States and the
performance of these schemes; mechanisms, laws, institutions and Bodies constituted for the
protection and betterment of these vulnerable sections.
- Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health,
Education, Human Resources.
- Issues relating to poverty and hunger.
- Important aspects of governance, transparency and accountability, e-governance- applications,
models, successes, limitations, and potential; citizens charters, transparency & accountability and
institutional and other measures.
- Role of civil services in a democracy.
- India and its neighborhood- relations.
- Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s
- Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests, Indian
- Important International institutions, agencies and fora- their structure, mandate.
Books lists for General Studies Paper 2
The basic book-list suggested by many toppers is given in the post IAS Books for UPSC Civil Service Prelims & Mains. We are prescribing a special book list focuses only on General Studies Paper 2 of Mains Exam.
- Indian Polity for Civil Services Examinations – M. Laxmikanth. (Polity)
- Governance in India for CSE. (Governance – GS2)
- Pax Indica – Shashi Tharoor. (Foreign Policy – GS2)
- India and the World by Surendra Kumar. (Foreign Policy – GS2)
- Our Parliament by Subhash Kashyap..
- Challenge and Strategy: Rethinking India’s Foreign Policy by Rajiv Sikri
- ARC reports on Public Order.
- India.gov.in for Welfare Schemes.
- Articles from Planning Commission Website.
- The Diplomat Magazine.
- Briefs on Foreign Relations from MEA.