Many Books for UPSC Mains Exam and Prelims Exam are common. But some books needed to a special focus on some special topics which are exclusively for some subjects. For instance, International relations, disaster Management, India after Independence, Ethics, internal security, etc. need some additional standard books along with different ministry websites, magazines, and newspapers. Along with this, you can refer to our online study material which makes your preparation better.
The below list of books for UPSC was prepared from the feedback of toppers who found these books useful for their IAS preparation. From time to time, we are updating the list on the basis of their relevance from the exam point of view. So keep checking this page.
Books for UPSC Civil Services Mains Exam Preparation
- Modern Indian History 2nd edition by Sonali Bansal
- HISTORY OF MODERN INDIA by Bipan Chandra
- India’s Ancient Past By R.S Sharma (Ancient History)
- Indian Art and Culture by Nitin Singhania( Art & Culture)
- The Wonder That Was India: by Albasham (Art & Culture)
- Governance in India by Laxmikanth (Polity)
- Science and Technology by Rajiv Agrahari (Science & Technology)
- India Yearbook 2022 (Current Affairs)
- Manorama Yearbook 2023 by Dr. Shashi Taroor (Current Affairs)
- Certificate Physical And Human Geography (Physical Geography)
- Geography of India by Majid Hussain (Indian Geography)
- Oxford Student Atlas for India (Geography)
- Environment by Shankar. (Environment)
- Environmental Studies from Crisis to Cure by R Rajagopalan (Environment)
- Indian Economy by Ramesh Singh (Economics)
- Economic Survey by Government of India (Economics)
- Contemporary Essays by Ramesh Singh by Ramesh Singh (Essay paper)
- ESSAYS for Civil Services and Other Competitive Examinations (Essay Paper
- Indian Society: Themes and Issues (Indian Society-GS1)
- India After Gandhi: A History (History – GS1)
- Mastering Modern World History by Norman Lowe
- IAS Mains Paper 2 Governance, Constitution, Polity, Social Justice & International Relations 2023 (Arihant Manual – GS2)
- Challenges to Internal Security of India (Third Edition) (Security – GS2)
- Challenge and Strategy (Foreign Policy – GS 2)
- INDIA’S NATIONAL SECURITY: A Reader (Internal Security – GS3)
- International Relations by Pavaneet Singh (Foreign relations)
- Lexicon For Ethics, Integrity & Aptitude 2023 ( Ethics – GS4)
- Ethics, Integrity & Aptitude by Subha Rao ( Arihant Manual – GS4)
Other Book Lists for UPSC
- IAS Books for Prelims and Mains Preparation
- Optional Book List for IAS Preparation
- NCERT Books for IAS Preparation
- Useful IAS Books in Hindi
- Civil Services Interview: How to Ace.
- What…? When…? How…? Answers to All Questions about Civil Services (Prelims, Mains and Interview).
Books for UPSC Mains Exam in the Hindi Language
As many of the books given in the English Language, corresponding books in the Hindi language are available in the book market. Hindi medium students can check the link UPSC IAS Books in the Hindi Language to buy from Amazon at a lower price.