Last updated on June 22nd, 2017 at 07:39 pm
Right selection of UPSC/ IAS books for Prelims and Mains will be a game changer . We cannot buy all the IAS books in the market and experimenting a trial and error game . So we collected reviews about the books from toppers . Here is an exhaustive list of standard books which is very relevant for IAS Exam preparation . By Collecting these essential books you crossed the first hurdle . For a good start ,new standard weapons are very important to win CIvil service battle.Here your weapon is standard IAS books . So go for it without any confusion . If you have any queries then please ask in the comment section.We are always happy to help 🙂 .
Important IAS Books For UPSC Prelims (Click on the links to buy online)
- Certificate of Physical and human geography by G C Leong . (Physical Geography)
- Geography of India by Masjid Hussain . (Indian Geography)
- Oxford School Atlas .(Geography)
- Environment by Shankar IAS .(Environment)
- Environmental Studies: From Crisis to Cure – Rajagopalan . (Environment)
- Indian Economy by Ramesh Singh . (Economics)
- Economic survey . (Economics)
- India’s struggle for independence by Bipan Chandra . (Modern History)
- History Of Modern India – Bipan Chandra . (History)
- India’s Ancient Past- RS Sharma . (Ancient History)
- .History of Medieval India – Sathish Chandra . (Medieval History)
- Indian art and culture by Nitin Singhania .( Art & Culture)
- The Wonder that was India – AL Bhasham (Art & Culture
- .Indian Polity for Civil Services Examinations – M. Laxmikanth (Polity)
- Science and Technology in India – TMH. (Sciennce & Technology)
- India Year Book (Current Affairs)
- Manorama Yearbook (Current Affairs)
- Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning – RS.Aggarwal (CSAT Paper 2)
- CSAT Manual by TMH or CSAT-II – Arihant . (CSAT – Paper 2 )
- Analytical Reasoning – MK Pandey .(CSAT – Paper 2)
Additional IAS Books for UPSC Mains (Click on the links to buy online)
- Contemporay Essays by Ramesh Singh. (Essay paper)
- Essays for Civil Services – Pulkit Khare. (Essay Paper)
- 151 ESSAYS For UPSC Mains. (Essay Paper)
- Social Problems In India – Ram Ahuja. (Indian Society-GS1)
- India After Gandhi–Ramchandra Guha.(History – GS1)
- World History by Norman Lowe OR History of Modern World – Jain and Mathur (World History-GS1)
- IAS Mains General Studies Paper 2 (Arihant Manual – GS2)
- Governance in India by Laxmikanth -(Governance – GS2)
- Pax Indica by Shashi Tharoor.(Foreign Policy – GS 2)
Challenge and Strategy: Rethinking India’s Foreign Policy (Foreign Policy – GS2)
- India’s National Security: A Reader. (Internal Security – GS3)
- Challenges to Internal Security of India. (Internal Security – GS3)
- Lexicon for Ethics, Integrity, and Aptitude. ( Ethics – GS4)
- IAS Mains General Studies – Ethics. ( Arihant Manual – GS4)
Best IAS Books
- India’s struggle for independence by Bipan Chandra which is a very good book for modern part .This book little bit fatty and time consuming but it will give you broad knowledge about the topic. This book can read like a novel,explains holistically each and every happenings of freedom struggle period .
- Indian art and culture by Nitin Singhania. For culture part of IAS Exam , Best book to study art and culture . Its a resource material you just cannot avoid for UPSC . Illustrated with pictures, reading and studying from this book itself is a wonderful learning experience in itself .
- Certificate of Physical and human geography by G C Leong is a must book for both prelims and mains for Physical part of Geography . It effectively covers most topics from physical world geography which are asked in the prelims ! .
- Geography of India by Masjid Hussain – A very comprehensive book for UPSC and other competitive exams . A must have book if you want to understand the geography of India from root to tip . It details topics in a way that you get the complete understanding by updated info and maps .
- Oxford School Atlas : It is indispensable atlas for understanding basics of Indian Geography as well as World Geography . Must Book for IAS Exam .
- Indian Polity for Civil Services Examinations – M. Laxmikanth-There is no question arising the base book for polity, it is none other than Laxmikant . Start reading from any of the interesting topics, for instance, if you find interesting to study The Panchayati Raj, start reading from there .
- INDIAN ECONOMY BY RAMESH SINGH : IT IS A MUST READ BOOK . THIS COVERS ALMOST ALL ASPECTS OF ECONOMY . IT WILL BE USEFUL FOR PRELIMS. READ FROM THE LATEST EDITION [7TH EDITION]. APART FROM IT WILL BE HELPFUL FOR MAINS ALSO.
- Economic survey : An analytical and descriptive account of the present economic challenges and opportunities the country is witnessing . It is highly advantageous for both prelims and mains point of view.
- Environment by Shankar IAS– Must read book for upsc aspirants as many questions are being asked on environment . But you has to keep in touch with environmental current affairs from THE HINDU . Now a days UPSC giving lot of attention is to environmental issues .
- India Year Book – This book is very helpful to understand the government schemes and plans on various fields ( contents index is provided in the images) . which can be very helpful for exams like UPSC for both prelims and mains point of view.
CSAT Part : Paper -2
This paper is not consider to pass prelims from 2015 onwards. But need to secure a minimum of 33% of 200 marks,ie 66 marks . Although the relevance of CSAT paper has come down still it is important to clear prelims.
- Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning– RS.Aggarwal -CSAT Paper 2: Reasoning
- CSAT Manual by TMH or CSAT-II – Arihant CSAT – Paper 2
- Analytical Reasoning – MK Pandey CSAT – Paper 2: Analytical Reasoning
- Civil Services Interview: How to Excel.
IAS Books in the Hindi Language
As many of the books given in the English Language , corresponding books in the Hindi language are available in the book market. Hindi medium students can check the link UPSC IAS Books in the Hindi Language to buy from Amazon at a lower price.
Books for Other Competitive Exams
- Banking Exam Books .
- MBA Exam Books .
- Engineering Books .
- UPSC NDA/CDS/IES Exam Books .
- SSC Exam Books .
Links of UPSC Books at online Stores
Free Resources For UPSC IAS Exam
- Yojana Magazine Download.
- Download Kurukshetra Magazine
- Pratiyogita Darpan issue
- Download IGNOU Books .
- NCERT Books Download.
- Buy NCERT Books Online.
Recommendation regarding IAS Book selection
- It’s not necessary to read fat thick books to qualify for IAS Exam ! . But considering the neck to neck competition and big syllabus,It is clear that UPSC Civil Service exam preparation cannot be done without some standard books . Standard Quality books propels energy and completion to your online preparation and helpful for distant self-study approach . Stick on the recommended standard books provided on this webpage along with selective NCERT books for daily study . Use extra books as provided in the list as reference material .
- Aspirants might be already noticed that we always tried to update the list with most authentic books available in the market . But if you have less time then try to finish the minimum before the exam, you may better focus on thin books instead of fat ones . You can read A brief History of Modern India by Spectrum (Rajiv Ahir IPS) then, which is a thin book which covers almost all major events and points provided in History of Modern India by Bipan Chandra. Similarly, you may read Indian art and culture by Nithin Singhania IAS, for culture part of Ancient and Medeivial Indian History .
- On regular intervals IASSolution.com publishes reviews on newly published books in the market under our Book Reviews section . Publishers/writers can send us sample copes for review . Aspirants too can comment their reviews about the UPSC books they read t in the comment section . This will help other readers to determine which are the useful books for IAS preparation .
- We regularly updating this webpage when new best books worth the quality,time and money of candidate appear in the market. So keep visiting this page for more updates .