Last updated on January 31st, 2018 at 10:16 am
The Indian Administrative Service is a dream job of every Indian. It is one of the prestigious jobs. In India, People ignore government jobs due to reduced salary. But the fact is different when it comes to IAS officer. However, rather than high income , this job offers an opportunity to serve the people of the nation.
Salary of an IAS Officer as per 7th pay commission recommendation
Generally speaking, the seventh pay commission recommended a hike of 14.27% in basic pay. However, annual increment rate retained at 3%.
However, the basic pay of all Civil Servants (Group A) are the same (Pay Level 10).
The Cabinet approved 7th Pay Commission recommendation on 29th June 2016. Now the basic salary of junior level IAS officers is Rs. 56100. . The pay will increase by getting increment year after year. Moreover, the basic salary of Cabinet Secretary is fixed at Rs.2,50,000. Apart from these, allowances like House Rent Allowance (HRA) and Travel Allowance (TA) cannot be claimed since IAS officers provided with Government Accommodation and vehicle.
The above-mentioned figures are basic salaries. You may also be entitled to HRA, DA and TA.
Firstly, Dearness Allowance would start from 0% after the recommendation 7th pay commission. Dearness Allowance is directly linked to inflation. Besides these, total salary DA portion is more than half of the total salary because some time DA touches 100% of Salary.For instance, Dearness Allowance touched 107% of Basic pay of government employees in 2016. In fact, Dearness Allowance is revising two times every year.First revision in January and Second revision is on July.
Secondly, You will also entitled to get Travel Allowance (TA) to spare for various expenses related to travel.
Thus, it can be clear that the total salary of entry level IAS officers would be Rs 56100 + DA only because House Rent Allowance (HRA) and Travel Allowance (TA) cannot be claimed since IAS officers provided with Government Accommodation and vehicle .
The structure and goes up to Pay Level 18.
7th pay commission introduced a new Pay Matrix system. The pay matrix system consist as many as 18 horizontal levels to take care of fixation of pay or Promotion. The vertical range for each of these 18 levels is meant for fixation of pay by providing annual increment.
Apart from these, 7th Pay Commission has done away with the Pay Band – Grade Pay System (the first two rows shown in orange color) which existed before. The previous pay bands are for comparison purpose only. The new Pay Levels are highlighted row-wise (1-18) from left to right in the above table. Within the same column, if you go downward, the pay for the next years are mentioned.
- Generally speaking, IAS officers are normally get promotion every 4-5 years.
- On the one hand, IAS officers get two extra-increment (6%) when they are Level 11, 12 and 13.
- On the other hand, after the level 14 salaries of all officers are same.
Pay Level for each rank
The Pay Levels for each rank are as following:
- Level 10: (1-4yrs) ASP/SDM/ Asst. Commissioner in IRS
- Level 11: (5-8 yrs) SP/DM/Deputy Commissioner in IRS
- Level 12: (9-12 yrs) SSP/DM (DS in GOS)/Joint Commissioner in IRS
- Level 13: ( 13-16 yrs) SSP/DM (Director in Government of India)/Additional Commissioner in IRS
- Level 13A: (14th yr) DIG (No parallel Scale in IAS or IRS)
- Level 14: (16-24 yrs) IG/Commissioner (IAS/IRS)/JS in GOI
- Level 15: ( 25-30 yrs) ADG/Additional Secretary in GOI/Principal Secretary in State/ Principal Commissioner in IRS
- Level 16: (30-33 yrs) Additional Chief Secretary /DG/Chief Commissioner in IRS
- Level 17: (34-36 yrs) Chief Secretary/DG/Secretary of GOI/ Principal Chief Commissioner in IRS
- Level 18: (37+ yrs) Cabinet Secretary to Government of India
HRA and Transport Allowance for Central Government Employees as recommended by 7th Pay Commission
Moreover, for X, Y and Z class cities the HRA allowance will be 24 percent , 16 , percent and 8 percent respectively as per 7th Pay Commission norms. Along with these, 7th Pay Commission has also recommended for enhancement of HRA while DA crosses 50% and 100%. As far as Transport Allowance is concerned, there is no increase. However, DA @ 125% has been merged with existing Transport Allowance.
Besides these, 7th Pay Commission has discontinued with the Pay Band – Grade Pay System which existed before.
Scales of IAS officers
- Junior Scales (0-4 years)
- Senior Scales (4-9 years)
- Senior Time scale (4 years+)
- Junior Administrative grade (9 years+)
- Selection Grade (13 years+)
- Super Times Scale(16 year+)
- Above Super Time Scale(25 years+)
Salary Scale as per 6th Pay Commission
IAS salary structure contains of various Pay Scales: Junior Scale, Senior Scales, Super Time Scale, Above Super Time Scales etc. Each of the pay scale includes of different pay bands.
- Junior Scale: Pay Band: Rs 15600-39100 plus Grade Pay Rs 5400
- Senior Time Scale: Pay Band: Rs 15600-39100 plus Grade Pay Rs 6600
- Junior Administrative Grade: Pay Band: Rs 15600-39100 plus Grade Pay Rs 7600
- Selection Grade: Pay Band: Rs 37400-67000 plus Grade Pay Rs 8700
- Super Time Scale: Pay Band: Rs 37400-67000 plus Grade Pay Rs 10000
- Above Super Time Scale
- Firstly, Rs 37400-67000. Plus Grade Pay of Rs 12000.
- Secondly, the Apex Pay Scale of Rs 80000 (fixed). No Grade Pay.
- Finally, Cabinet Secretary Grade of Rs 90000 (fixed). No Grade Pay.