IAS Salary – Salary of IAS Officer in 2023
IAS Officer’s Salary starts at Rs 56100 after the 7th Pay Commission. The Senior IAS Officers like Cabinet Secretary rank officers get Rs 250000. However, rather than high income and Pay, this Service offers an opportunity to serve the people of the nation.
The Indian Administrative Service (IAS) is the dream job of every Indian. It is one of the prestigious jobs. In India, People ignore government jobs due to the reduced salary. The fact is different when it comes to the Salary of an IAS officer.
What is the Salary of an IAS Officer?
The Cabinet approved the 7th Pay Commission recommendation on 29th June 2016. Now the basic salary of junior-level IAS officers is Rs. 56100. The pay will increase by getting increment year after year. Moreover, the basic salary of the Cabinet Secretary is fixed at Rs.2,50,000. Apart from these, allowances like House Rent Allowance (HRA) and Travel Allowance (TA) cannot be claimed since IAS officers are provided with Government Accommodation and vehicles.
Generally speaking, the seventh pay commission recommended a hike of 14.27% in basic pay. However, the annual increment rate retained at 3%.
However, the basic pay of all Civil Servants (Group A) are the same (Pay Level 10).
Total Salary of an IAS Officer in 2023
The above-mentioned figures are basic salaries. You may also be entitled to HRA, DA, and TA.
Firstly, the Dearness Allowance (DA) would start from 0% after the recommendation 7th pay commission. Dearness Allowance is directly linked to inflation. Besides these, the total salary DA portion is more than half of the total salary because sometimes DA touches 100% of the Salary. For instance, the Dearness Allowance touched 107% of the Basic pay of government employees in 2016. In fact, the Dearness Allowance is revised two times every year. The first revision is in January and the Second revision is in July.
Secondly, You will also entitle to get Travel Allowance (TA) to spare for various expenses related to travel.
Thus, it can be clear that the total salary of entry-level IAS officers would be Rs 56100 + DA only because House Rent Allowance (HRA) and Travel Allowance (TA) cannot be claimed since IAS officers are provided Government Accommodation and vehicles.
The structure goes up to Pay Level 18.
IAS Salary structure: Based on 7th Pay Commission Recommendations
7th pay commission introduced a new Pay Matrix system. The pay matrix system consists as many as 18 horizontal levels to take care of the fixation of pay or Promotion. The vertical range for each of these 18 levels is meant for the fixation of pay by providing annual increments.
Apart from these, the 7th Pay Commission has done away with the Pay Band–Grade Pay System (the first two rows are shown in orange color) which existed before. The previous pay bands are for comparison purposes only. The new Pay Levels are highlighted row-wise (1-18) from left to right in the above table. Within the same column, if you go downward, the pay for the next years is mentioned.
Want to Clear IAS Exam in 2024?
Take IASSolution Mock Exams; Be a Master!Take a FREE Test
- Generally speaking, IAS officers are normally getting a promotion every 4-5 years.
- On the one hand, IAS officers get two extra-increment (6%) when they are Level 11, 12, and 13.
- On the other hand, after level 14 salaries of all officers are the same.
Pay Scale for each IAS Officer
The Pay Levels for each rank are as follows:
- Level 10: (1-4yrs) ASP/SDM/ Asst. Commissioner in IRS
- Level 11: (5-8 yrs) SP/DM/Deputy Commissioner in IRS
- Level 12: (9-12 yrs) SSP/DM (DS in GOS)/Joint Commissioner in IRS
- Level 13: ( 13-16 yrs) SSP/DM (Director in Government of India)/Additional Commissioner in IRS
- Level 13A: (14th yr) DIG (No parallel Scale in IAS or IRS)
- Level 14: (16-24 yrs) IG/Commissioner (IAS/IRS)/JS in GOI
- Level 15: ( 25-30 yrs) ADG/Additional Secretary in GOI/Principal Secretary of State/ Principal Commissioner in IRS
- Level 16: (30-33 yrs) Additional Chief Secretary /DG/Chief Commissioner in IRS
- Level 17: (34-36 yrs) Chief Secretary/DG/Secretary of GOI/ Principal Chief Commissioner in IRS
- Level 18: (37+ yrs) Cabinet Secretary to the Government of India
Also read: How to start IAS Preparation without coaching?
HRA and Transport Allowance for Central Government Employees as recommended by 7th Pay Commission
Moreover, for X, Y and Z class cities the HRA allowance will be 24 percent, 16, percent, and 8 percent respectively as per 7th Pay Commission norms. Along with these, the 7th Pay Commission has also recommended for enhancement of HRA while DA crosses 50% and 100%. As far as Transport Allowance is concerned, there is no increase. However, DA @ 125% has been merged with the existing Transport Allowance.
Besides these, the 7th Pay Commission has discontinued the Pay Band – Grade Pay System which existed before.
Pay Scales of IAS Officers
- Junior Scales (0-4 years)
- Senior Scales (4-9 years)
- Senior Timescale (4 years+)
- Junior Administrative grade (9 years+)
- Selection Grade (13 years+)
- Super Times Scale(16 year+)
- Above Super Time Scale(25 years+)
Also check: UPSC Exam Syllabus for IAS Prelims, Mains, and Interview
IAS Officer Salary as per 6th Pay Commission
IAS salary structure contains various Pay Scales: Junior Scale, Senior Scales, Super Time Scale, Above Super Time Scales, etc. Each of the pay scales includes different pay bands.
- Junior Scale: Pay Band: Rs 15600-39100 plus Grade Pay Rs 5400
- Senior Time Scale: Pay Band: Rs 15600-39100 plus Grade Pay Rs 6600
- Junior Administrative Grade: Pay Band: Rs 15600-39100 plus Grade Pay Rs 7600
- Selection Grade: Pay Band: Rs 37400-67000 plus Grade Pay Rs 8700
- Super Time Scale: Pay Band: Rs 37400-67000 plus Grade Pay Rs 10000
- Above Super Time Scale
- Firstly, Rs 37400-67000. Plus Grade Pay of Rs 12000.
- Secondly, the Apex Pay Scale of Rs 80000 (fixed). No Grade Pay.
- Finally, Cabinet Secretary Grade of Rs 90000 (fixed). No Grade Pay.
Enroll in UPSC Prelims Online Test Series to crack Prelims 2024
Leave a Reply