General Studies 1 Paper Syllabus of UPSC Civil Services Mains Exam comprises of three major areas which Indian Heritage and Culture, History and Geography of the World and Society. Detailed syllabus is given below as per UPSC notification.
General Studies 1 Paper Syllabus for UPSC Civil Services Mains
- Indian culture will cover the salient aspects of Art Forms, Literature and Architecture from ancient to modern times.
- Modern Indian history from about the middle of the eighteenth century until the present- significant events, personalities, issues.
- The Freedom Struggle – its various stages and important contributors /contributions from different parts of the country.
- Post-independence consolidation and reorganization within the country.
- History of the world will include events from 18th century such as industrial revolution, world wars,
- redrawal of national boundaries, colonization, decolonization, political philosophies like communism,
- capitalism, socialism etc.- their forms and effect on the society.
- Salient features of Indian Society, Diversity of India.
- Role of women and women’s organization, population and associated issues, poverty and
- developmental issues, urbanization, their problems and their remedies.
- Effects of globalization on Indian society
- Social empowerment, communalism, regionalism & secularism.
- Salient features of world’s physical geography.
- Distribution of key natural resources across the world (including South Asia and the Indian subcontinent);
- factors responsible for the location of primary, secondary, and tertiary sector industries in
- various parts of the world (including India)
- Important Geophysical phenomena such as earthquakes, Tsunami, Volcanic activity, cyclone etc.,
- geographical features and their location- changes in critical geographical features (including water bodies and ice-caps) and in flora and fauna and the effects of such changes.
Books lists for General Studies Paper 1
The basic book-list suggested by many toppers is given in the post IAS Books for UPSC Civil Service Prelims & Mains. We are prescribing a special book list focuses only on General Studies Paper 1 of Mains Exam.
- Geography of India – Majid Husain. (Geography)
- Oxford School Atlas – Oxford. (Geography)
- Certificate Physical and Human Geography – Geography
- History Of Modern India – Bipan Chandra -History
- India’s Struggle for Independence (History)
- India’s Ancient Past- RS Sharma– History
- History of Medieval India – Sathish Chandra -History
- The Wonder that was India – AL Bhasham -Culture
- Indian Art and Culture – Nitin Singhania – Culture
- Social Problems In India – Ram Ahuja -Indian Society
- India After Gandhi–Ramchandra Guha -History – GS1
- World History by Norman Lowe OR History of Modern World – Jain and Mathur -World History