Last updated on May 19th, 2017 at 10:45 am
In UPSC preparation choosing right study material will be a game changer . We cannot buy all the books for IAS exam in the market and experimenting a trial and error game. So we collected reviews about the books from toppers and providing best books for IAS examination . By collecting these essential books you crossed the first hurdle. For a war,new and updated standard IAS Books are very important to win the battle . Here your weapon is best books for IAS exam recommended by toppers . So go for it without any confusion . If you have any queries then please ask in the comment section .
Best IAS Books
- India’s struggle for independence by Bipan Chandra which is a very good book for modern part .This book little bit fatty and time consuming but it will give you broad knowledge about the topic. This book can read like a novel,explains holistically each and every happenings of freedom struggle period .
- Indian art and culture by Nitin Singhania. -For culture part of IAS Exam, Best book to study art and culture .Its a resource material you just cannot avoid for UPSC. Illustrated with pictures, reading and studying from this book itself is a wonderful learning experience in itself.
- Certificate of Physical and human geography by G C Leong is a must book for both prelims and mains for Physical part of Geography . It effectively covers most topics from physical world geography which are asked in the prelims!
- Geography of India by Masjid Hussain-A very comprehensive book for UPSC and other competitive exams . A must have book if you want to understand the geography of India from root to tip . It details topics in a way that you get the complete understanding by updated info and maps .
- Oxford School Atlas : It is indispensable atlas for understanding basics of Indian Geography as well as World Geography . Must Book for IAS Exam.
- Indian Polity for Civil Services Examinations – M. Laxmikanth-There is no question arising the base book for polity, it is none other than Laxmikant . Start reading from any of the interesting topics, for instance, if you find interesting to study The Panchayati Raj, start reading from there.
- Economic survey : An analytical and descriptive account of the present economic challenges and opportunities the country is witnessing. It is highly advantageous for both prelims and mains point of view.
- Environment by Shankar IAS– Must read book for upsc aspirants as many questions are being asked on environment . But you has to keep in touch with environmental current affairs from THE HINDU . Now a days UPSC giving lot of attention is to environmental issues.
- India Year Book – This book is very helpful to understand the government schemes and plans on various fields ( contents index is provided in the images) . which can be very helpful for exams like UPSC for both prelims and mains point of view.
CSAT Part : Paper -2
This paper is not consider to pass prelims from 2015 onwards. But need to secure a minimum of 33% of 200 marks,ie 66 marks . Although the relevance of CSAT paper has come down still it is important to clear prelims.
- Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning– RS.Aggarwal -CSAT Paper 2: Reasoning
- CSAT Manual by TMH or CSAT-II – Arihant CSAT – Paper 2
- Analytical Reasoning – MK Pandey CSAT – Paper 2: Analytical Reasoning