Last updated on September 7th, 2017 at 08:04 pm
In UPSC preparation choosing right study material will be a game changer. We cannot buy all the books for IAS exam in the market and experimenting a trial and error game. So we collected reviews about the books from toppers and providing best books for IAS Prelims and Mains exam preparation. For a war,new and updated standard IAS Books are very essential to win the battle.Here your weapon is best books for IAS Prelims and Mains exam preparation. By collecting these Best Books for IAS preparation, you crossed the first hurdle.recommended by toppers . So go for it without any confusion. If you have any queries then please ask in the comment section.
Best Books for IAS Preparation
- India’s struggle for independence by Bipan Chandra which is a very good book for modern part.This book little bit fatty and time consuming but it will give you broad knowledge about the topic. This book can read like a novel,explains holistically each and every happenings of freedom struggle period. This book covers an in depth overview of Indian freedom struggle. It covers all aspects from revolt of 1857 and continues still independence. This book is essential for covering modern history and candidates can easily tackle questions from Indian history. Besides prelims, It is useful for mains also.
- Indian art and culture by Nitin Singhania. -For culture part of IAS Exam, Best book to study art and culture. Its a resource material you just cannot avoid for UPSC. Illustrated with pictures, reading and studying from this book itself is a wonderful learning experience in itself. It covers whole syllabus of Indian heritage and culture for general studies paper 1. This is the only book you need to refer for Indian art and culture.
- Certificate of Physical and human geography by G C Leong is a must book for both prelims and mains for Physical part of Geography. It effectively covers most topics from physical world geography which are asked in the prelims.
- Geography of India by Masjid Hussain– A very comprehensive book for UPSC and other competitive exams . A must have book if you want to understand the geography of India from root to tip. It details topics in a way that you get the complete understanding by updated info and maps.
- Oxford School Atlas : It is indispensable atlas for understanding basics of Indian Geography as well as World Geography. Must Book for IAS Exam.
- Indian Polity for Civil Services Examinations – M. Laxmikanth : There is no question arising the base book for polity, it is none other than Laxmikant. Start reading from any of the interesting topics, for instance, if you find interesting to study The Panchayati Raj, start reading from there.
- Economic survey : An analytical and descriptive account of the present economic challenges and opportunities the country is witnessing. Every year the ministry of finance, government of India publishes the economic survey that focus on country’s economic development during previous twelve months. It consists of an in depth analysis of recent economic developments . Along with all these, it the most authoritative, updated and unbiased source of information regarding Indian economy. This book is also useful for both prelims and mains.
- Environment by Shankar IAS – Must read book for upsc aspirants as many questions are being asked on environment . But you has to keep in touch with environmental current affairs from THE HINDU. Now a days UPSC giving lot of attention is to environmental issues.
- India Year Book – This book is very helpful to understand the government schemes and plans on various fields ( contents index is provided in the images) . which can be very helpful for exams like UPSC for both prelims and mains point of view.
CSAT Part : Paper -2
This paper is not consider to pass prelims from 2015 on wards. But need to secure a minimum of 33% of 200 marks. So it is obvious to secure a separate minimum of 66 marks to qualify for mains. Although the relevance of C- SAT paper has come down still it is important to clear prelims. Mc- Grow Hill is the only one book you should refer for C- SAT.
- Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning– RS.Aggarwal – C- SAT Paper 2: Reasoning
- CSAT Manual by TMH or CSAT-II – Arihant C- SAT – Paper 2
- Analytical Reasoning – MK Pandey C- SAT – Paper 2: Analytical Reasoning